Monday, June 23, 2014

Struggling to find the solution to your issue? Here's some food for thought:
"You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem."- Eldridge Cleaver
Do you agree with Cleaver's quote? Why or why not? Answer as a comment.


And because I know you all love Calvin and Hobbes (or at least you should):

12 comments:

  1. I agree 100% with this quote. If person 1 sees a problem and person 2 doesn't, that means that #2 is part of the issue because they are doing it and as a result they don't see anything wrong with it. Then since #1 sees something wrong with it they will try to change the issue to make it better or get rid of it. So in the end you either help accomplish an issue or, by not cooperating you become part of what forbids the task from getting done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Maria because there are two different perspectives in which the issue can be viewed as. You can choose to try and solve the problem, or you can help and go along with the problem; by choosing to contribute to the issue you become part of the problem. You can also choose to try and help solve the problem, and become part of the solution. Either way there are two ways in which to face a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. This quote over simplifies all problems. For one, "the solution" implies that there is only one solution to the problem, and, as we all know, this is false. It also assumes that a neutral party is also a part of the problem, and while it may be true in some cases, it is most often wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree with this quote because the person trying to solve the problem or while in the process of solving it can become part of the problem. I also agree with Nevyn that no problem has one solution only. There are multiple perspectives to things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The solution" could be interpret in more than one way. Nevyn has his opinion on what "the solution" stands for. I understand and agree on what he says. But, I also believe that "the solution" to mean that a person sticks to whatever solution they came up with for the issue. In that interpretation, I agree with Cleaver's quote because people are going to argue whether or not they see the issue. Like Maria and Salma agree with how the first may see the issue clearly and has a solution to solve it, and then the second person doesn't see the issue because is involved with the issue and doesn't see the error of that issue. As a total perspective, I agree with Cleaver's quote more than I agree with Nevyn's disagreement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would agree on what both Maria and Salma are talking about because if one person does not know what the issue is then they are part of what would be called as the "problem". Then if someone does know what the issue is than they are part of the "solution" and try to find a way to fix the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I disagree to Cleaver's quote. If you know you are part of the problem and are trying to find a solution then it doesn't really give you a clear stance just as Nereida said. To expand, if you are part of the problem and have a solution there is a possibility that your solution is just adding to or creating another problem which takes you from being the supposedly"solution" back to the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I agree with the clever quote because ofton times people will choose to make a difference or stand by and watch change happen by "itself". I pity those who don't join the cause because one person can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Cleaver's quote because it is saying that if you take action and cooperate to solve a problem, then you are part of its solution because you helped to accomplish it. Now, if you did not do anything to help solve the problem, then you are part of the problem since you did not help nor make the problem vanish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I disagree with Cleaver's quote. The quote itself is saying you are either on one side or another, but that is in fact not true. That is practically saying overall you are part of the problem which is not true because on can be an outsider which does not mean you're making an effect to the situation in a bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Cleaver's quote along with the others who agreed as well. The quote is trying to say that you can be on two different sides. If you helped out with the situation, you've cooperated and shared your ideas. You've committed your time into helping find a result which means you are part of the solution. If you did not unsuccessfully do time in helping solve the conflict, you basically are the problem because you are a non-contributor; furthermore you're a bystander. I guess you could say that there are 2 ways to approach a situation.

    "I have one less problem without you" -Ariana Grande
    ^^^For the non-contributors ;)
    ^^^This is such a random quote
    ^^^I don't really know if this quote is relevant to my agreement with Cleaver's quote
    ^^^I should stop now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I disagree with Cleaver's quote, it says that you're either the problem or helping the solution, but like Nevyn said their is never just one solution. People have different ideas of what a good solution is. Also people who do not take sides do not always contribute to the people, they are just not helping the solution.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.