Monday, June 16, 2014

Community Issues

Hi guys!


I have spoken with both of my parents tonight about community issues and their responses have triggered my thoughts. My Dad stated that he believes he is paying taxes to too many people. Basically he believes, and I agree, that multiple layered government agencies are unnecessary in many situations. For instance, the roads of the Round Lake Area are all plowed by several different levels of government. Most of the roads are plowed by the individual towns' public works, but Cedar Lake is plowed by Lake county public works. This means that Plows are sent all the way from Waukegan to plow a road that our plows already drive over. Also, Avon Township is in charge of Washington. Again, our towns' plows already are driving on this road. I think it is ridiculous and unorganized. My Dad and I both believe that some parts of the government do not have to be as complicated as they are. A way to simplify these government levels is by abolishing townships in Northern Illinois. Avon Township is responsible for under ten miles of roads and could be covered by the towns within. We don't need to pay taxes towards something so useless.




My Mom also brought up a great point! She is concerned with teen pregnancy in our area. Children in these upcoming generations are not being held responsible for their actions. It starts as small as awards. Not everyone is a winner, therefor not everyone should receive a trophy. You have to work hard to be recognized. Or kids are being able to slip by in school; expectations are lowered. Kids who don't do their homework only need to say sorry and they don't receive discipline. By not being held accountable for our actions, we will never learn from our mistakes. We will not understand consequences. Now when we face real life problems, such as teen pregnancy, kids don't know what to do. I know of several students who were educated about sex and their parents have talked to them. However, they still chose to make some silly choices which resulted in pregnancy. Neither of them expected it because neither of them have had to face a consequence before. There was always an easier way out. By Installing responsibility into youth, we could prevent silly choices that result into permanent life choices.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I have seen so many teens that are pregnant recently! I don't understand why they make these decisions, but it was a stupid decision! These teens aren't ready to be parents, and most of the time they have abortions. If they didn't want to have a baby, they shouldn't have made a stupid choice in the first place. I don't know why, but the number of teens getting pregnant has been increasing, and that's really concerning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Shelby,

    I'd like to respond to your second qualm, that of teen pregnancy. What is the "responsibility" of pregnant teens? Some may agree that it is the responsibility of all young, unmarried people to abstain from sex, but, as all of us sensical people can see, if people want to have sex, they will. There's not much that any of us can do about that, short of separating the genders. So, there's nothing that can be done to prevent sex, so what can be done?

    One of the most obvious solutions is to promote the use of contraception, which is probably the best solution. We can't prevent intercourse, but we can prevent conception. A problem with this idea is that many parents are averse to informing their children of contraceptives. There's not much that can be done about this, but it is still the responsibility of the general public keep children informed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.